We're Hiring: Research Associate, Equitable Economy/National Equity Atlas (Oakland, CA)
PolicyLink is working to advance policies and strategies to build an equitable economy — one in which everyone can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. In 2010, we formed a formal research partnership with the Program for Environmental and Regional Equity (PERE) at the University of Southern California to provide equity advocates, practitioners, and policymakers with clear, convincing data and cutting-edge analyses to make the case that equity is both a moral imperative and the key to economic prosperity in their own communities and nationwide. In October 2014, we released the National Equity Atlas, a unique online resource to track and measure data, and to make the case for equity in the largest 150 regions, all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the United States as a whole. The Atlas democratizes data, providing those working to build stronger and more inclusive local economies with essential information on demographic change, racial inclusion, and the economic benefits of equity through a user-friendly interface. Tens of thousands of people are now using this tool and our team is working to continue to evolve this living resource to make it an even more useful and powerful tool.
PolicyLink is seeking a Research Associate to join our team and partnership. The ideal candidate is passionate about producing data and research that is relevant and actionable for those working on the frontlines to advance racial economic inclusion. He or she is skilled at analyzing data, producing compelling data displays and maps, and writing data analyses in an engaging and accessible way — and is looking for an opportunity to further grow skills and leadership by joining our dynamic team.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research and contribute writing to research briefs, analyses, and articles, including comparative analyses and equity profiles/research reports focused on particular regions/communities.
- Develop creative solutions to communicate complex data and research findings, including through data visualizations (graphs, charts, and maps), presentations, and websites.
- Participate in the development of new research and analyses and the selection of new indicators to incorporate into the Atlas.
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of the National Equity Atlas site among our team and the consultants who design and manage the website.
- Participate in developing and implementing outreach and dissemination strategies, including webinars.
- Conduct trainings and presentations on the National Equity Atlas.
- Stay current with pertinent literature, developments, and data visualizations around issues of demographic change, inequality, mobility, and equitable growth.
- Occasionally conduct short-term data and mapping analyses for other teams at PolicyLink.
- The position may involve travel.
- Master’s degree in urban planning, community development, economics, public policy, public health, or related social science (e.g., political science, sociology).
- Two years of relevant work experience conducting research to support policy development, advocacy, or organizing.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Experience with data analysis and quantitative research, including statistical analysis and spatial analysis using Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Ability to translate complex data and analyses for mainstream audiences, including facility with using Excel for data analysis and the generation of graphs and charts.
- Self-starter with good time management skills and ability to effectively work on multiple projects.
- Experience working with low-income communities of color and familiarity with public policy and the legislative process are desirable.
How to Apply
Email Résumé and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org (include subject line: “[Your Name] (Research Associate-Equitable Economy/National Equity Atlas)
OR fax to (510) 663-4323
OR mail to:
PolicyLink –Search Committee (Research Associate-Equitable Economy/National Equity Atlas)
1438 Webster Street, Suite 303
Oakland, CA 94612
Position open until filled.
Please note: No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Excellent benefits including paid vacation, health, vision and dental insurance, and 401(k) retirement plan.
PolicyLink is committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment.